Tuesday, September 12, 2017

It did happen


This past weekend I had the opportunity to visit the civil rights museum in Memphis.  I’m on my second visit, but it still seemed like the very first time.  It’s amazing how much occurred in America’s past that people seem to have forgotten. Maybe we haven’t forgotten, but we want to overlook because what occurred was too horrible.  It’s not a vivid of the imagination. Slavery was real and a horrific time in history.  

 

My significant other wanted to visit the Civil Rights Museum, but I must admit.  I was hesitant because it is awful to believe and think of how this could have ever happened – how people succumbed to this atrocity. Still today; no apologies, no retribution to the descendants, and people still do not recognize us as being a citizen.  When I say us, I mean any descendant of slavery, which is truly unfair.



Getting back to the Civil rights museum, I recommend any one of any race, creed, a religious or political background to visit.  It is something that will make you think just a little different, that’s if you have any humanity within your heart.  We took several pictures and discussed the when, why, where, and how of it all.  It is still painful to see and to think of even at this particular moment.



However, I do not feel this is a place for children to roam or visit unless their mind is ready for this sort of thing.  Several children that were playing appeared to me (in observance) that this was not a big deal.  They went from room to room, dancing, laughing, as if it was all a big joke.  I often marvel if parents or schools that bring children at the museum explain what it’s all about.  Once again; I state that children should not attend unless their mindset is there or understand.  Until parents explain to children what happened and how real it is, there is not a particular point in having that sort of field trip.



I know that It has been a very long time since I shared something on my blog.  Life has kept me quite busy for the past years, but I’m back.  I will continue to share each month my thoughts and new adventures because I’m sure there are more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment